Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap

24 kW DC chargers

Startet av minibiti, mandag 09. august 2021, klokken 16:50

« forrige - neste »

minibiti

Hi,

I saw that some companies produce triple standard 24 kW chargers (DC with CCS/Chademo and AC with Type 2) and you can use one DC cable and the Type 2 at the same time.
More info here: https://www.carplug.com/en/ies-keywatt-fast-dc-charging-station-24kw-ccs-chademo-type2s-sim-rfid

I was just wondering what you elbil nerds think about this... :)

It is not as expensive (around 150 kNOK) as a 50-350 kW DC charger and could be used for cheaper recharging when one has more time. So instead of installing many AC chargers giving 22 kW (and where only the Zoe and a few others can fully utilize the power available), this would allow any cars to charge with 22-24 kW.
If the pricing model is right, and since battery packs get bigger and bigger, this might be a good alternative for places where one doesn't stay parked for more than a few hours.

But I am a bit unsure what places this would be best suited for... Parking places at malls and movie theaters? Near restaurants, museum? City centers parking lots?

For destination parking where people stay more than 8h, like hotels or workplaces, many 7 kW AC chargers are more than enough and much cheaper.

Let me know if you think this is totally useless or if it has its place.
I am myself very much in doubt... :)
Oslo
2020 Zoe Intens R135 (Jan 2020 - present)
2018 Zoe Intens R110 (Nov 2018 - Jan 2020)
2016 Zoe Intens R240 (Aug 2016 - Nov 2018)

Rosstopher

There are a few use cases described on the page you linked to, but I think it's mostly useless. There are probably a few places where it's useful, but at many times the price of a 22kW Type 2 socket I think it's use cases are limited. Maybe you could have one at home if you're rich, but then again if you're rich you and your friends probably drive cars that can charger fast on AC. 😛
2021 Tesla Model Y LR
2016 Kia Soul

x 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
x 25+ fossilbiler

Reservert Cybertruck

automat

Jeg tror dette i beste fall er en mellomløsning.

Nå begynner flere og flere biler å komme med 11kW AC-lading. Neste skritt blir 22kW, i hvertfall for de større/dyrere bilene. Og da er det ikke lenger behov for så treg DC-lading.
Audun Torsdalen
Styremedlem Østfold Elbilforening 2022-
2014 Peugeot iOn
2017 Tesla mod X75D
2018 Hyundai Ioniq

michael.mw87

I have recently used a 22 kW DC fast charger from Schneider Electric in Aure. I immediately realized that something was different with the charger when I lifted the pretty thin cable. For charging my 2012 Leaf, it was fine. It took probably 10 minutes longer to 80% than it would have taken on a 50 kW DC fast charger. It was also really cheap (2,- NOK per kWh).
I would see use cases for such chargers in rural areas or along side roads with little traffic, where it is too expensive to establish 50 kW+ charging. Most electric cars sold nowadays have large batteries, so they don't need to charge at those places at all. But some people (like me) still have a need for charging there. I could also imagine, as more people switch to electric cars, cheaper car options like the Dacia Spring (26,8 kWh battery, 30 kW fast charging) might become more popular and benefit from such a charging offer.

minibiti

Yes, the beauty of this is that any car can charge  with 22 kW on the cheap, not only the ZOEs on the 22 kW AC chargers.
You also have a point with the fact that this could be used in less busy area where a faster DC charger would cost too much.
At least it could increase the semi-fast chargers density and help people top up in the middle of nowhere, which is especially useful for people with older cars/smaller battery packs (since right now there are places they do not dare going to for the lack of chargers within range between 2 stops).

2 NOK per kWh was really cheap!
Oslo

Panduck

This could have been handy some years ago. For now, building infrastructure that is "handy" for cars like old LEAFs, probably is not the best idea. Even if this charger is cheap, you can still get way more 22kW AC ports for the same price, and as most cars now have 11kW or more charging, "slow DC" is not really that important.

minibiti

I see your point Panduck and I agree, but there are many old car stuck at 6 kW AC.
Is it really that many new cars with 11kW AC as standard?
I would have thought way less than half of the newly sold cars had that...

Anyway, we will find out soon if this product takes off in Norway or not :)
I did not even know we already had such chargers here, but apparently in Aure we do!
Oslo

turfsurf

Jeg tror slike ladere kan være fint på kjøpesenter o.l. Hvor man typisk tilbringer 2-3 timer. 7-11kW gir ikke så mye, men med 50kW og høyere må man ut og koble fra før man er ferdig.
Model Y P 2022 | BMW CE 04 2022 | x - e-tron 55 SB 2021  x - e-tron 50 SB 2021 | x - e-tron 50 2020 | x - Model 3 LR 2021 | x - I-Pace HSE 2019 |
x - i3 120Ah 2019 | x - Model X 100D 2017 | x - i3 60Ah 2015 | x - Model S 85D 2015  | x - Model S85 2013

Rosstopher

Samtidig er det vel ikke realistisk å forvente at en gjennomsnittlig bilist skal sette seg inn i enda en type lading i tillegg til saktelading, hurtiglading og lynlading? I hvertfall hvis denne typen forekommer ytterst sjelden.
2021 Tesla Model Y LR
2016 Kia Soul

x 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
x 25+ fossilbiler

Reservert Cybertruck

Panduck

An alternative is a setup like Kenpower with load balancing. One can set it up to offer a minimum of 24kW pr slot if all are taken. We have a real need for more fast chargers in addition to destination / over-night chargers, some 24kW chargers would not fill that much need. These 24kW DC chargers are most likely more an option for type "pizza-delivery" companies that need to charge their delivery car a tad faster than the on board charger to make the next run.

minibiti

This is why Peppes/Dominos/Flamenco have ZOEs and 22 kW AC if they want to :)
Oslo

Panduck

Sitat fra: minibiti på tirsdag 10. august 2021, klokken 17:01
This is why Peppes/Dominos/Flamenco have ZOEs and 22 kW AC if they want to :)

Not just. I have seen e-ups :)

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA