Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap
Hovedmeny

Zoé ZE50: Tips and tricks

Startet av minibiti, tirsdag 31. desember 2019, klokken 19:37

« forrige - neste »

iDriver

Sitat fra: minibiti på onsdag 29. juli 2020, klokken 16:02
If you have one of the first ZE50, you might want to make sure your BMS is up to date.
I have had the suspicion for a while that I would not use the whole capacity of the battery, and I finally got the garage to check it.
They found out that my SoH was 94% and that I did not have the latest BMS version.
Now they have updated it and I have 100% again :)

If you are not bothered by this, make sure they check it next time you deliver your car in for service.

Is there any way to read the BMS version?
Or any way to "reset" it? (not talking about just resetting the Multimedia-system, or the "3-second hold down OK-button" thing, but full reset)

Our Zoe looks to have become rather "confused" lately, and range/efficiency has dropped considerably.
It is not due to the winter coming, as it was just fine when we had some freezing temperatures early in October and it has actually been somewhat warmer lately.
If anything, it started about the time I changed to winter tires. I know that might impact the efficiency numbers, but it is far worse now, than at any time during January/February.
Sometimes I think we are looking at a 1% drop on the battery for every 1-1,5km.
This would indicate energy usage of about 30-50kwh per 100km - however the khw/100km indicator also seems to have lost track of what is happening - I can regenerate during a long downhill, still the average usage can increase from for example 18,0 to 18,5. Overall it does not show as bad efficiency as if I calculate myself on % used per km, but it is still off...at least quite some bit compared to how it was.

I did a full charge of the battery, to 100% and it seemed like thing actually had fixed itself for a time, however the further down I get on battery percentage, the worse it gets. From 100% to 90% it seems "normal". And when I get below 80% it really detoriates.
Just had a 8km drive today, and battery went from 68% to 64%. Short trip and hence a large margin of error, but still... Weather was dry and +3 to +4 degrees Celcius.

...feels like something just needs a reset or reboot...

minibiti

I do not know how to read the BMS version, if it is possible at all for us mere mortals at the moment.
The best you can do here is to make sure they check/update it when you go for the one year service.

Regarding your consumption, you seem to have a weird behavior indeed.
But what is important is how much you can drive in one go on a full charge, especially if you can pre-condition the car before leaving.

During the winter, many things influence the consumption negatively:
- winter tires
- tire pressure (a bit above the recommended value helps a little)
- small journeys starting with a cold car (the heater has to work extra hard at the beginning to get the cabin to temperature)
- cold air is bad for air resistance
- etc...

I drive around 15 km at a time and my consumption is around 15.5 kWh/100km.
But I still have summer tires and here in Oslo the temperature is still around 5-10C
Oslo
2020 Zoe Intens R135 (Jan 2020 - present)
2018 Zoe Intens R110 (Nov 2018 - Jan 2020)
2016 Zoe Intens R240 (Aug 2016 - Nov 2018)

iDriver

Yes, I am thinking of taking a longer "testride" just to have a look.

Will also try to increase tyre pressures a bit (currently "only" at 2,6 bar).

Still looking forward to a service though.
A few other things are acting weird as well, especially with the multimedia system. It is getting increasingly slow, stops responding, and leave information out.
For example I can easily back out from the parking lot, before the rear-view camera turns up. Temperature is not always shown (so today I had to look elsewhere, just to confirm it was not too cold in comparison to energy usage).

Although I think it should not, it can of course be related to the consumptions issues I am seeing...like something is "stuck" and using all the power...

I have also managed to get mist and ice in front of the windscreen camera... ::)
Experienced it first time yesterday, and the picture is after 10 minutes of driving, so temperature inside the cars was OK. Initially it covered the whole camera area (what looks like running water, is indeed from the outside)

iDriver

Bilen hentet fra service nå - SoH tilbake på 99,95% (52,9kWh) :)
(Renault sin rapport sier 52,9kWh - CanZe beregner 99,95% fra 100% på 53kWh tror jeg)

Nå ble det plutselig minus 13 grader her, så ikke den beste dagen å sammenlikne med, men kapasiteten virker faktisk å være tilbake.

Det som ikke er bra, er at det ikke er noe selvdiagnostikk som varsler dette i bilen. Jeg antar at den gjennomsnittlige sjåføren ikke sitter med CanZe eller andre ting som kan si ifra at det faktisk er et problem her, og dermed kjører rundt med altfor lite kapasitet som igjen fører til mye unødvendig "dyr" hurtiglading.

minibiti

Nice nice nice :)

Just to complement my previous post, it is now possible to read much more info with the latest CanZE, including the BMS version.

I understand that Renault is not too keen on making the SoH too readily available to people. Computing it is not an exact science and many would start freaking out just for a 1% change. And with the way it is today, only people with real range problem would contact their dealers.

What I really hope, on the other hand, is that the garages are pro enough to make sure all your firmware and software is updated each year when you go in for the service.

Did you get the Info Energy menu BTW? I know it is available now but it requires a manual install for some reasons (you can't get it via an OTA update). But I am not sure all the garages got the memo yet...
Oslo

iDriver

No, cannot find any Info Energy menus... :(
You got some more information about this?

They did an update on the HV controlling systems (which I believe is the BMS), and also an update on the front camera (which apparently was some kind of Renault guarantee thing, that they already had planned for).

Not the most comprehensive service report I got, and I picked up the car outside opening hours, so got no further information on what they have done.
I can see that they adjusted the tire pressures at least. For some reason they lowered them all the way down to 2,5 at the front and 2,2 at the rear, which inconveniently enough, is so low that I know get "low pressure" alerts all the time (they might have adjusted this inside the workshop to appropriate levels, and when the car was parked outside and temperatures dropped to -13, the pressures also dropped). I will however increase the pressures again, regardless.

I also asked them to check the Raydiall Ucase, as the one I have got, really does not like cold weather. When temperatures drop below zero, it cuts the power (the white lights shuts off). I can then take it inside for it to heat up, and then it works fine for a while, until it gets too cold again...
Have not got any feedback on their test results, or got to check it again myself yet, so unsure if it is fixed.

minibiti

I do not think I have see anything on the Norwegian forum or the Norwegian ZOE Facebook group so it can be that it is still early days. But I have seen several screenshots on the French forum.
I will take my ZE50 to the 1 year service in 2 weeks and when I set up the appointment, the garage did not seem to know about this update either... We will see :) At least they said they will check with Renault France....

For the tires, 2.5 is really the bare minimum and should be your minimum pressure with cold tires and an outside temperature of -10C.
Mine are at 2.8 ;)

Let us know if you get any feedback for the Raydiall UCase charger... I never tried to use it in cold temperatures.
It is strange though because it usually generates some heat which should help in this situation.
Oslo

minibiti

Here is the thread about the Info Energy menu on the French forum...
If you can't read French you can at least look at the pictures :)

https://renault-zoe.forumpro.fr/t14975p25-menu-infos-vehicule
Oslo

iDriver

iDriver

Sitat fra: minibiti på onsdag 06. januar 2021, klokken 13:51
Let us know if you get any feedback for the Raydiall UCase charger... I never tried to use it in cold temperatures.
It is strange though because it usually generates some heat which should help in this situation.
Tried the charger now. Does not work  :(
It has stayed in the car since I picked it up from the workshop yesterday, so it is thoroughly cold (minus 5). Have taken it inside, and my guess is that it will work (at least for some time) when it has heatened up.

I agree it does generate some heat, but apparently not enough. Maybe some faulted condensators on mine, which cannot handle the cold, as I get the blue light when hooking it up, and the fans start to spin. Just no white lights and no power going to the car...

minibiti

Oslo

iDriver

Sitat fra: minibiti på torsdag 07. januar 2021, klokken 17:54
Absolutely! :)
I corrected my original post, but here it is again: https://renault-zoe.forumpro.fr/t14975p25-menu-infos-vehicule

Thanks (Google translate works pretty well on French :) )
This would be very nice to get installed (I asked the dealer just after receiving the car, where these menus had gone, as they were there on the old cars, but he told me they had intentionally been removed, as people just got annoyed by such information, which I think is just a ridiculous explanation).
Will be interesting to see if your dealer will get hold of this update!
If it is indeed necessary to install it via an USB, they can still release the files, so that people can install themselves.

minibiti

The worst part is that the Info Energy menu is documented in the user manual...
So your dealer is full of sh*** :P
Oslo

iDriver

Sitat fra: minibiti på torsdag 07. januar 2021, klokken 21:56
The worst part is that the Info Energy menu is documented in the user manual...
So your dealer is full of sh*** :P
Exactly.
The new EasyLink has apparently been "sold" well from Renault to the dealers...and ultimately us customers.
They promised almost Tesla-like development with new features and new apps coming, more or less without any limits. Reality is zero new features, I think. Yes a couple of updates, but none of which I have seen any effects from.

What annoys me a bit, is that they bragged about wireless CarPlay (and even said that the Zoe would be the first car with this on the market). Currently I am not sure if this will even be possible with the Zoe...and it is rather silly to have a wireless Qi-charger, if the multimedia-system requires a cable to connect with CarPlay anyway...

However, I do not think Renault is the only brand to operate like this. I have experience with new cars from both BMW and Ford, and it is more or less the same story...for regulars customers I believe it works well...for geeks like us, we will always be disappointed :)
Tesla might only be the brand with a "geek mode" - for other cars, we need to rely on enthusiasts creating apps and software like CanZe :)

minibiti

I know some of the people working on the Easy Link and they are definitely committed to make it better with time.
Renault is using Easy Link in all their new cars so it might take a bit of time before all the features are supported properly for all different types (petrol, hybrid, electric).
I think they had to cut some features in order to deliver on time for the release of the ZE50, and now they are just slowly catching up.
Easy Link has OTA updates and we already got at least 2 updates (mostly bug fixes though).
For some reasons, the fix for Info Energy requires a manual install at the garage.
Renault is not at Tesla's level yet but I do not think they are the worst either :)
Patience will be rewarded! :P
And a huge thanks to the CanZE team!
Oslo

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA