Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap

Enerdel battery fault - repairing...replacing...

Startet av pexic, tirsdag 23. april 2019, klokken 15:56

« forrige - neste »

pexic

Hello friends

I finnaly manage to remove the Energel battery from my Think
Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.

I have to check it since I have to know if it can be repaired or replaced or...who knows.

I have to mention that, at this moment, I don't have the possibility to diagnose the car/battery but I'll read the forum and maybe I would manage to do that.

First impressions :

Some moisture shadow but nothing important as far I can see:

Someone tried to repair the battery, some inside plastic screws are missing.
One of the 16 modules was replaced (see pcitures) also on this module the multi DIP-switch has a different configuration (see pictures).
Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.

I've made some measurement to see if the cells can be saved or not, it seems that we are ok on this, all modules have exactly 43,5V except the "replaced" one who has 44,3V (see picture).
Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.

Now I'm decided to diagnose the battery.

The car is not charging, however it connects ok to the 220V home network (power led is red and can bus led is blinking green)
These errors are reported in dash :
-red battery led is on (insufficient charge in 12V battery) -> but the battery is fully charged)
-limited power triagle is blinking
-warning lamp for low battery blinks rapidly

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedbacks/advices.

pexic

More details to better understand this error:

These are the flashing lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Cjk9WJd5s

These are the central console leds:

This is the sound of Enerdel pack relays when the ignition is ON :

Thanks for your attention.

pexic

Hi
any Idea what this plug is for ? (it is under the fuse panel)

thank you in advance!

worry

Hi,
You seem to have been lucky with your battery. But you really need to diagnose it. Even if each block has reasonable voltage, some cellpairs of the block could be bad anyway. That means the other ones could have too high voltage.
Your RLEC-cards looks ok on the photos. Those are hard to find if something is wrong. Again, a diagnose can tell. The dip-switch settings means nothing in the Think pack. RLEC-addresses is set in the card software, as I have understood.
I've just started looking into diagnose, so I have little to share.
Good luck, and keep us posted.  :)
Think lithium

pexic

Thank you Worry !
At this moment I've ordered an OBD to serial cable but it will take some time to arrive (aliexpress)
Also some friend told me that, for FORD cards, I can use an standard ELM OBD USB adaper (which I have) in order to sniff the CAN dialog - using a free software called  "ELMConfig"
Today I'll try to see if my setup will be able to read CAN messages.
Of course I'll post here all the info (including pictures) for other people who (like my self) will find those very usefull.
Sorry for the very big pictures of my posts, I don't figure out yet how this forum can show only preview pictures before click on them... all setting are in Norvegian :) but this will not stop me.
Have a nice day!

Viorel

BauDemo

The cable under the dash is a diagnostic/firmware update connector for the PCU (the drive for the motor).

To diagnose the battery you need Enerdel specific diagnostic tool called ComTool, and it runs with a P-CAN adapter.

Checkout the software download section on the think yahoo group - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/think_ev

Also there see the wiring diagrams for the car.
laddplats? -www.uppladdning.nu
nikometer? - www.evmonitor.info

pexic

Hi BauDemo

Thanks for the info.

L.E. the link to the software from yahoo group is dead but I've asked few users to FW the software to my inbox, maybe they will do that.

regarding ELM OBD I found out that I need to make some hardware modifications to the adapter in order to read Ford specific data  (https://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/elmconfig-enable-ford-ecu-functions/)
I'll keep you posted if this method will be successfully or not.

Regards

pexic

I found the software/documentations .zip file (400MB) - Who need it -> just ask for it by email plastic4pexic@yahoo.com.

BauDemo

There is nothing on pins 11 and 3 on the diagnostic connector on my car. How would you expect this ELM Config to work?

pexic

Sitat fra: BauDemo på torsdag 25. april 2019, klokken 21:10
There is nothing on pins 11 and 3 on the diagnostic connector on my car. How would you expect this ELM Config to work?

:+1: fair enough, I owe you few hours of work  :)

Also I've noticed the missing of "battery reset" button (next to OBD connector) is this normal ?

Now I have to make an OBD to Serial cable for Comtool, any advices ?

Thank you!

BauDemo

Cool - feel free to use "pay forward" for the hours :)
Your Think has Enerdel battery and the reset button is pointless. Check the electrical wiring diagram and you will see.
You can not easily make the cable for Comtool - if I remember correctly the program is looking for P-CAN or Vector CAN bus adapters. So you can save your time and buy
https://www.peak-system.com/PCAN-USB.199.0.html?&L=1

You can make a cable for the CHAS (the program for the PCU) to connect to the 4 pin connector under the passenger side dash. Lookup the pins on the electrical wiring diagram - it was very easy. You would need a usb to rs232 adapter if you do not have rs232 on your computer.

pexic

Thanks again BauDemo
I'll order Peak cable and meanwhile I'll build the second one (SIADIS as far I remember) for the PCU since for this one I have all the hardware in the garage.
I've performed an "HV isolation" check (thanks Catalin for advice) but nothing wrong was found.

I'll keep you posted guys!

P.S. for any kind of payment I strongly recommend an Revolut (.com) account ;)

pexic

Hello firends

While I'm waiting for the PEAK PCAN-USB adapter I have removed one (two) battery module, I only found some rust traces but nothing wrong in rest, I've checked each li-ion element and all of them show 3.65V on the multimeter.
Here are the pictures:

Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.Du kan ikke vise dette vedlegget.

pexic

Also I've checked if my LTO cells fit well in these boxes and yes, they fit perfectly - 28 pieces LTO prismatic 30Ah cells per box.
After some calculations this means approx 16Kwh in total (versus 28Kwh Enerdel) -> approx 90km range.
But with some important advantages, two examples:
-same range in winter (no heat for battery needed)
-possibility of huge fast charge rate (max 150kw in theory)

Have a nice weekend!

pexic

Hello friends!

It seems that I have, at least, one defective RLEC board.
I've also noticed some strange values during the tests and I've marked those in red color.
Please look at the pictures and tell me your precious feedback.
Meantime I'll search for "non defective car - can data"..I think I saw something like this but I don't remember where ...
Have a nice day!

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA