Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap

Vesel-Elbilforum’s review of the Taptes wireless charger for the Tesla Model 3

Startet av Vesel, tirsdag 12. februar 2019, klokken 22:22

« forrige - neste »

Vesel

As promised in an earlier thread, here is my review of the charger. To my knowledge, there aren't many other in-depth reviews of this product out there yet, so I'm doing this so that it will be easier for others to decide on whether to buy this Chinese offbrand copy of the Nomad or to spend 2.5 - 4 times as much on the real deal. Chinese products generally have a poor reputation for quality, but I think things have gotten better lately. In fact, the most impressive product I have ever bought, the Xiaomi Roborock S50 robot vacuum, is Chinese.

I'm writing the review in English so that it can be read by more people, although my intended target audience are primarily other Norwegians.

Please note that this is just a preliminary review as I haven't got my hands on the car yet, just the charger. I'll be updating it continuously with more pictures, test results and impressions when I get the Model 3 ("March"), a USB amperemeter from Ebay ("Feb 6 - Mar 18") and the Samsung Galaxy S10 (probably March 8-12).

Ordering & delivery
I received the shipment yesterday, after 3 weeks since ordering. It was sent from Singapore and arrived Norway a little more than a week ago.
Even though I paid $49.99 (approx. 440 kr) for the charger, the contents of the envelope were declared to be a "gift" with a value of $13.99. I certainly didn't request Taptes to falsify the customs declaration, but I'm kinda happy I didn't have to pay for customs on this low value shipment to be quite honest.

In addition to the charger itself, an installation manual (curiously, made from plastic), some promotional material and some 3M Double Coated Tissue Tape were included in the box.

Build quality & charging
The exterior build quality of the product is good. It's light, but it feels solid, and will probably look and feel like a minor improvement to the quality of the interior of the car. Build quality-wise I'd say it's fully on par with my similarly priced Samsung EP-N5100 wireless charger for the nightstand.

Unlike the Samsung wireless charger, the USB cables are attached directly to the Taptes. No micro-USB or USB-C plugs. This is probably a good thing, as I have experienced the micro-USB plug melting and the whole charger getting fried with the earlier Samsung EP-NG930 wireless charger due to a poor connection. The flip side to this is of course that you have to replace the whole charger in case of the unlikely event of damage to the cables.

The charger has LED lights for charging status. When not connected to a phone the LED is off, when charging it turns orange. According to Taptes, the LED is supposed to turn white when the phone is fully charged, but with the Iphone 8 Plus at least it just stayed orange. I can imagine the LEDs could be hard to see from the driver and front passenger seats. Fortunately, at least the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has its own LED in the top left corner for signaling charging status.
As with the Samsung wireless charger, the Taptes is able to charge through both the meaty Samsung S View cover and a slightly thinner back cover made from rubber for the Iphone.

As you can see, the 158.4 x 78.1 mm Iphone 8 Plus hardly fits in the charger width-wise with the back cover on. On the top there is still some clearance.

The surface is made of some kind of antislip rubber that works well, though it gets smudgy very easily. I had to wipe it off many times while taking pics for this review.

These are the angles right before slipping for the Galaxy with and without the S View cover. I actually find it less slippery with the cover on.

Charging speed test results
The charging speed tests were conducted using the Accubattery app for the Android phone and the Amperes Lite app for the Iphone, typically running for 5-8 minutes on each test. SOCs were between 30-60%.

The test equipment

Test results

The results are mostly inconclusive. I would get significantly different test results from time to time. Though I think we could say that the Taptes and the Samsung wireless charger are charging at roughly the same speed. The Galaxy categorizes charging on both as "fast charging". Curiously, charging speeds seem to be just as fast and sometimes faster wirelessly than with wire.

When I get the USB amperemeter I will be back with more accurate, consistent and comparable measurements.

Early conclusion
So far I'm satisfied with this product. I don't regret buying it over splurging on the Nomad. The build quality of the Taptes is absolutely satisfactory, and I doubt the Nomad charges much faster. My main concern with wireless chargers is still the long term reliability, as they haven't got the best track record in that aspect in my experience.

Superfornøyd eier av en Tesla Model 3 siden mars 2019.
Long Range, AWD, blå, premium svart interiør, 19" Sport (sommer) + 18" Aero (vinter), AP + FSD.

Bydue 3.0 - el-sparkesykkel og hobbyprosjekt
Segway Minipro - selvbalanserende ståhjuling. Ta kontakt hvis du kan mekke kjettinger og snøplog til denne! 😂

Vesel

Hvis du bor nær Grimstad, får bilen i februar (eller i det minste før meg) og ønsker å hjelpe meg med denne anmeldelsen, så send meg gjerne en melding! Enda bedre om du også har Nomads lader så vi kan sammenligne direkte.  :)
Long Range, AWD, blå, premium svart interiør, 19" Sport (sommer) + 18" Aero (vinter), AP + FSD.

Segway Minipro - selvbalanserende ståhjuling. Ta kontakt hvis du kan mekke kjettinger og snøplog til denne! 😂

atta

Ladet du uten problemer? Kona sin iphone Xs Max lader med en gang den legges på, mens min eldre samsung S8 med tynt deksel som lades fint daglig på to andre trådløse ladere må jeg presse ned for å få til p lade. Før dette blinker det orange lyset bare.

Vesel

Sitat fra: atta på tirsdag 12. februar 2019, klokken 22:29
Ladet du uten problemer? Kona sin iphone Xs Max lader med en gang den legges på, mens min eldre samsung S8 med tynt deksel som lades fint daglig på to andre trådløse ladere må jeg presse ned for å få til p lade. Før dette blinker det orange lyset bare.
Jepp. Den begynner å lade med en gang selv med det tykke S View-coveret på.

atta

Ok. Pussig. S8 pluss er det vel forresten. Må ta av det tynne dekselet eller presse den ned.

gruffalo

Jeg installerte akkurat taptes, og den ser ikke ut til å fungere. Lader ikke, og blinker oransje hele tiden.

Råd?
E-tron 55 sportback 2022

RuneW

Sitat fra: Vesel på tirsdag 12. februar 2019, klokken 22:22
Hvis du bor nær Grimstad, får bilen i februar (eller i det minste før meg) og ønsker å hjelpe meg med denne anmeldelsen, så send meg gjerne en melding! Enda bedre om du også har Nomads lader så vi kan sammenligne direkte.  :)

Jeg har Nomad installert, skal til Grimstad lørdag om halvannen uke og har et par timer å skusle bort (men litt usikkert akkurat når på dagen) ...
TMY LR AWD
TM3 LR AWD FSD (solgt)

elbil

Denne ladeplata virket før oppdateringen til 2019.8.3, men nå lader den ikke. Flere som har samme erfaring?  Finnes det i tilfellet en løsning når det også skal kobles til en minnepenn for å få dash cam? (brukt en usb splitter, men selv uten denne, virker ikke ladeplata slik den gjorde før oppdateringen).
Peugeot iOn

bno

Fikk denne mailen fra Jeda som jeg har bestilt. Kanskje den kan være til hjelp for andre? Så ta infoen for det det er ....

Firmware 2019.8.1+ update
Hi  ******,

We have discovered that many of you have experienced problems with the front USB ports of your Tesla Model 3 and the Jeda Wireless Pad after updating your software to the version 2019.8.1 or above.

Our team has conducted extensive testing using the Jeda Wireless Pad and many other accessories that use USB cables. What we have seen is that when those accessories make use of the data wires inside a USB cable, the Tesla Model 3 resets or interrupts the power connection. This happens with many wireless chargers, battery packs and other car accessories.

We haven't received an official response from Tesla to know if this may be a software issue or if the new software limits the front USBs to power only for non-storage connections.

One way or another, the solution is to replace the existing USB cable for a pair of USB cables that are charging only, which means they don't use the data wires. The Jeda Wireless Pad is the only wireless charger that uses independent USB cables, meaning that to fix this issue, you just need to replace the cables. The Jeda Wireless Pad will charge as fast as it always did and won't lose any power.

All units that haven't been delivered yet will come with the proper charger only cables. So If you are a V1 customer and are planning on upgrading your Jeda Wireless Pad to our 2nd gen during our Member Upgrade you don't need to worry about this. But if you already have your Jeda Wireless Pad and are experiencing this issue, the following are good and fast solutions to fix this issue. (Member Upgrade Program coming in April)

2ft USB cable from Mycablemart.com. Buy now $0.75

3ft USB cable from Mycablemart.com. Buy now $1

Portapower Charge Only Usb Cable from Amazon Buy now $12

Portapower Data Blocker USB connector from Amazon Buy now for $12 (not tested)

Some customers have also reported to us that using a USB hub or USB splitter fixes this issue. Although we can not guarantee that any USB splitter or USB hub will help, it is likely that the data connection is interrupted by those intermediate devices, delivering power only to the Jeda Wireless Pad.

- The Jeda team

Note: We have no affiliation nor take any benefit from Mycablemart.com, or Amazon, or any links mentioned in this email. We offer their services as a solution to help customers who are experiencing the mentioned issue.

haavares

Sitat fra: elbil på tirsdag 02. april 2019, klokken 00:19
Denne ladeplata virket før oppdateringen til 2019.8.3, men nå lader den ikke. Flere som har samme erfaring?  Finnes det i tilfellet en løsning når det også skal kobles til en minnepenn for å få dash cam? (brukt en usb splitter, men selv uten denne, virker ikke ladeplata slik den gjorde før oppdateringen).

Jeg har en Tapes som sluttet å fungere med 2019.8.x. Koblet den gjennom en rimelig usb-hub og da fungerte den fint. Man får riktignok bare halv effekt hvis begge mobiler lades samtidig, men til mitt bruk fungerer det utmerket. Fordelen med hub er jo også at det blir plass til å koble en minnepinne i en av portene for dashcam.

https://www.komplett.no/product/853509/pc-nettbrett/pc-tilbehoer/usb-hub/tp-link-uh400-usb-30-4-ports-hub#

Solheim

Jeg kjøpte en power bank med passthrough på Komplett. Så den er koblet i den ene USB porten og så videre med to utganger til hver side av Taptes'n.

eadie

Sitat fra: haavares på tirsdag 02. april 2019, klokken 09:27
Jeg har en Tapes som sluttet å fungere med 2019.8.x. Koblet den gjennom en rimelig usb-hub og da fungerte den fint. Man får riktignok bare halv effekt hvis begge mobiler lades samtidig, men til mitt bruk fungerer det utmerket. Fordelen med hub er jo også at det blir plass til å koble en minnepinne i en av portene for dashcam.

https://www.komplett.no/product/853509/pc-nettbrett/pc-tilbehoer/usb-hub/tp-link-uh400-usb-30-4-ports-hub#

Kjøpt 2 splittere. Plugg en splitter i hver USB port i bilen. Plugg så Taptes laderen i hver sin ulike splitter, slik at de 2 kablene som går inn i Taptes henger på hver sin splitter.
Da får du full effekt på begge ladeplatene.
----------------------------------
S85, blå, alt utstyr.
Utlevert mars 2014 - innbyttet mars 2019.

Model 3, hvit, LR AWD, full pakke, EAP/FSD.
Utlevert 07.03.19, byttet inn 29.12.2020

Model 3, blå, LR AWD. Levert 29.12.2020

gruffalo

går det an å klippe av en eller to av lederne i Taptes kabelen, slik at den bare får spenning, og ikke data?
E-tron 55 sportback 2022

thasle

Sitat fra: gruffalo på onsdag 03. april 2019, klokken 15:23
går det an å klippe av en eller to av lederne i Taptes kabelen, slik at den bare får spenning, og ikke data?
Standard fargekoding ser ut til å være: rød/sort = spenning, hvit/grønn = data. Klipp de to siste. Funker fint for meg på Jeda.
Model 3, blå, LR AWD, full pakke, EAP/FSD.
Utlevert 09.03.19.

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA