Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap

Think PIV4/Classic Leaf battery upgrade

Startet av PRensel, lørdag 19. mai 2018, klokken 08:21

« forrige - neste »

PRensel

Hi,

I'd like to share my latest upgrade for the Think PIV4/Classic.
This is a full Nissan Leaf 24kWh batterypack custom build for the Think.
It fits in the original batterybox and attaches to the original wiring of the car.
The TIM/motorcontroller is modified so the motor has more power, 48kW instead of 20kW.

The original charger is replaced with two Brusa NLG chargers with a combined capacity of 6.6kW.

Because of the higher speeds the braking systems will be upgraded with ventilated disk brakes at the front and disk brakes at the rear. The suspension will be lowered and modfied by Intrax Racing suspension.

===============
My personal EV collection:
----------------------------
- Audi A2 Electric
- Citroen Saxo Electrique 2-doors
- Vectrix VX1 (in different colors)
- CityEl Fact4
- MiniEl Targa/Cabrio/Basic: red, red
- Th!nk A266 PIV4 (also for sale)
- Th!nk A306 City (cars, parts, service)
===================

elektrolux

Looks good!

What voltage are you using? Will it be approved so you can sell car back to Norway?
Stavanger:

Selger utstyr for EV lading og energieffektivisering via http://elbilhjelpen.no AS

Har for tiden Tesla S85, Smart ED, BMW C- evolution, Carver S+, Monotrazer MTE-150, Citroen C1 EVie, div. Think og PSA Classic og City 2010 model, Chin 3 hjuler Pickup, Buddy M9 samt Vectric scooter. Venter på Microlino og Aptera #2246

Daglig leder i Elbilhjelpen.no

PRensel

The Leaf modules are paralleled in 48S so the total system voltage is 196V. The packs max current is at least 600A but the Simotion inverter is limited to 280A, max motor power is 55kW.
The original DC/DC is reused as is the ContactorBox internals meaning everything works as original like pre-charge and pre-heating. The used BMS is a combination of Zeva BMS modules and some purpose build controllers. 

Underneath the modules there is a 25mm isolation plate and on top there is the room for the additional isolation. This could also replaced with an active water/glycol coolant/heating system if needed.

Theres no need for approval or retesting for use in The Netherlands, not sure how it works in Norway.

===============
- Audi A2 Electric
- CityEl Fact4
===================

elektrolux

In Norway any change of battery chemistry means car needs new approval. The government have made the requirements that needs to be fulfilled so complex that they hope this will deter any enthusiasts from even tempting to get his car approved.

Strange as this means most simply convert illegally and there is no control on safety being followed. 

Luckily we have Caspar who is confronting the regulators and is determined to get his A266 with e-Up battery through the system.

I use other methods, and prefered is export/approval/reimport, but that means knowing the right people in EU who can help.
Stavanger:

Selger utstyr for EV lading og energieffektivisering via http://elbilhjelpen.no AS

Har for tiden Tesla S85, Smart ED, BMW C- evolution, Carver S+, Monotrazer MTE-150, Citroen C1 EVie, div. Think og PSA Classic og City 2010 model, Chin 3 hjuler Pickup, Buddy M9 samt Vectric scooter. Venter på Microlino og Aptera #2246

OneMore

I have met very positive point of view from Norwegian government.
This I have stated many places. But non have wanted to go this road.
Simply since non want to invest the time and money.

It's wrong to only blame the government.

Sitat fra: elektrolux på søndag 20. mai 2018, klokken 11:29
In Norway any change of battery chemistry means car needs new approval. The government have made the requirements that needs to be fulfilled so complex that they hope this will deter any enthusiasts from even tempting to get his car approved.
Har blitt noen THINK ja, vil gjerne bytte til meg 5 dørs SAXO. Utfører batteritesting!
Skrur også på 2 stk Cruzin Coolers!

Caspar

Nice work, Im i progress of doing the same with battery modules from VW Eup. Are you using the main reley box from the Think? And have you had any problems with the pre charge, caused by higher voltage?
Remind me later..........
Toppåsveien, rett ved Kolbotn

PRensel

Hi Caspar,

Yes I have used the internals like PCB and relays from the CB (contactorbox)
The precharge is still work in progress but i might have an easy solution :-)
At this time it works but sometimes not on the first key-on sequence.
===============
- Audi A2 Electric
- CityEl Fact4
===================

PRensel

Enabled charging inlet for Mennekes typ2 mode3 charging.
Currently running with two Brusa NLG5 chargers for 6.5kW charging.

===============
- Audi A2 Electric
- CityEl Fact4
===================

elektrolux

Stavanger:

Caspar

I have the same solution on both the Mini and the «VW» Think. Have you aded a resistor and a diode so you can use a normal wall box?
Remind me later..........
Toppåsveien, rett ved Kolbotn

PRensel

Sitat fra: Caspar på mandag 11. juni 2018, klokken 20:51
I have the same solution on both the Mini and the «VW» Think. Have you aded a resistor and a diode so you can use a normal wall box?

I have added a diode and two resistors (2k7 and 1k3) connected in parallel with a switch so i can toggle between mode3 'connected' and 'charge' state if needed. Unfortunally the ControlPilot signal of the Brusa chargers i have doesnt seem to be compliant with new EVSE's so i cant use that signal when charging automatically and the charger doesnt follow the EVSE's current limit.

I'm now working on modifying a Tesla Gen2 11kW charger which will be installed instead of the
Brusa's and will solve the CP 'problem'.

===============
- Audi A2 Electric
- CityEl Fact4
===================

BauDemo

Sitat fra: PRensel på mandag 11. juni 2018, klokken 17:19
Enabled charging inlet for Mennekes typ2 mode3 charging.
Currently running with two Brusa NLG5 chargers for 6.5kW charging.

This is very nice cut for the inlet. Would you mind sharing how you did it and what would you do differently if you were to make it again?
Also can you post images on how it looks when closed?
I have collected couple of photos showing different alternatives for a chademo inlet here:
https://www.evmonitor.info/2017/02/possible-placement-of-chademo-inlet-on.html

laddplats? -www.uppladdning.nu
nikometer? - www.evmonitor.info

PRensel

This is actually the standard cut on the USA/export versions of the Think.
Some models in NO have the grey-silver cover but this one had the original USA door.
===============
- Audi A2 Electric
- CityEl Fact4
===================

odd fagertveit

I like to use this in a boat, can you make this oppgrade for me. All el in the boat are from think classic

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA