Bli medlem i Norsk elbilforening og støtt driften av Elbilforum. Som medlem får du i tillegg startpakke, medlemsfordeler og gode tips om elbil og lading. Du blir med i et fellesskap som jobber for mindre utslipp fra veitrafikken. Medlemskap koster 565 kroner per år. elbil.no/medlemskap

Charging speed and long term effect on battery pack

Startet av minibiti, onsdag 04. juli 2018, klokken 11:01

« forrige - neste »

minibiti

Hi,
It is a well known fact that the Ioniq charges fast at pretty much any temperature and up to a quite high SoC.
On the other hand, the new Leaf for example, charges quite slow in comparison.

I am wondering if, all things being equal (e.g lack of thermal management for the Leaf), the Ioniq is pushing the limits of chemistry in order to achieve its speed and that this will show in a poorer SoH in the longer run.

What to you guys think?

P.S: I took the Leaf and the Ioniq as examples, so the questions is basically this: are some manufacturers a bit less careful (or too optimistic) for some short term gains and long term losses?
Oslo
2020 Zoe Intens R135 (Jan 2020 - present)
2018 Zoe Intens R110 (Nov 2018 - Jan 2020)
2016 Zoe Intens R240 (Aug 2016 - Nov 2018)

Electrix

If they had the same battery then quickcharging at higher speed would wear down the battery faster.

If they were quickcharging at the same speed with different battery chemistry then the one witn chemnistry less suited for fast charging would wear down faster.

There is always a trade-off, and battery chemistry is chosen for different reasons. basically it is:

Higher charging speed = higher cost
Higher capacity = higher cost
Higher expected lifetime = higher cost
Higher temperature acceptance = higher cost
Active temperature management = higher cost

Whatever they chose it is always a balance between these to choose what they think will be most suitable. Ioniq batteries may degrade faster or slower than Leaf, depending on how much they are pushing that exact chemistry they chose.
Nissan Leaf, kjøpt ny 2012
Tesla Model 3, kjøpt ny 2019
Kristiansand

© 2024, Norsk elbilforening   |   Personvern, vilkår og informasjonskapsler (cookies)   |   Organisasjonsnummer: 982 352 428 MVA